Many patients and doctors attribute the majority of ano-rectal complaints to hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids are not necessarily the culprit and surgery is often not required. In fact, many other conditions can cause the symptoms often attributed to hemorrhoids including:
- Presence of a lump or mass
- Presence of extra tissue or protrusion with defecation
I am expert in the surgical and non-surgical treatments of the above symptoms and all conditions of the ano-rectal region including:
- Anal fissure
- Pruritus Ani/Perianal Dermatitis
- Ano-Rectal Abscess/Fistula
- Anal Warts (Condylomata/HPV)
- Anal Cancer
- The diagnosis of colon and rectal cancer
- Skin tags
- Fecal incontinence
- Pilonidal Disease (not a true ano-rectal disorder)
Many patients have a great deal of anxiety about being examined in the ano-rectal region. This is completely understandable. Don’t worry, as I promise to perform the exam in a manner that respects your dignity and I will never perform an exam that causes pain.
Most non-cancerous disorders can be treated in the office or with an outpatient surgical procedure. I favor conservative, non-operative treatments for most of these conditions.
Unlike the recently opened ‘fast-food’ surgical franchises offering hemorrhoidal treatments, I am expert in the entire range of office and operative procedures for hemorrhoidal problems including:
- The latest forms of banding
- Infra-red coagulation
- Excisional hemorrhoidectomy
For fissures, I offer a variety of non-operative and operative options, and strongly favor the non-operative approaches.
I treat all forms of anal fistula disease and am expert in:
- The placement of setons
- Advancement flap procedures
- The recently developed LIFT procedure